Over The Moon (Without You)

Just a bit of backstory before you read the poem. I've been in a writing rut since a long time and so I'm getting back on my feet by writing a poem a day using these September prompts that I came across on Instagram by @angelealowes. Here's my first work. 

Over the Moon (without you)

At first it seemed impossible 
How could I fall asleep
On your satin covered pillow 
And not miss the way you smiled
Right before you went to sleep

The way you'd put your arm over me
Marking your territory, unconsciously 
I thought I'd never get over it 
The gigantic possibility 
That you were the Love of my life
I can never do better than I did

But then the sky grew pink
While I sat in my chair
As you walked away
Three bags and my Corvette
You seem relieved 
As if the chains holding you back
Finally broke down
When i signed the divorce contract

And as heartbreaking as it was
20 years gone in smoke
I couldnt help but sit, melancholy 
Grasping me like cobwebs 
Letting you go has been 
The hardest battle i fought 
The soldier retires now

And I hope, I pray, I beg God 
Someday, when these heavy years are bygone
I'll be over the moon, without you.

Comments

Popular Posts