What's Your Cigarette?
What's your cigarette? He asked
You mean, like the brand i prefer?
Foolish question for a non-smoker
I laughed, awaiting explanation
Wondering how he'll get past
The embarrassment of forgetting
I've always been allergic to smoke
But he doesn't fumble with words
Instead, he looks at me
Quite calmly, as if his next sentence
Is already a modified script
As if he's about to make a poem
The thing about me and poetry is
I have never been the muse
I'm scared of the question now
The one he truly meant to ask
So I make up an excuse
"I think my mum's calling"
Because now that he knocked
On the door to my soul
I'm sixteen again, scarred & afraid
No matter your age
Your first call of plea is your mother
Until she's the one causing the pain
But he stops me before i can run away
His fingers grasp my backpack
And pull me close again
Looks in my eyes and says
"Tell me what it is
What you do to excuse yourself
From the grief of reality
What you cannot stop doing
No matter how good life gets
Because somewhere deep down
You're still the kid
Who had to mature before her age
Tell me where it hurts
I promise i dont carry the salve."
I was taken aback
How could he know that?
Did he just read my mind?
When did i tell him this
A wounded person doesn't want reassurance
As much as she wants to be understood
When you understand what pains a person
You don't dare touch the wound
You give it time
But if you never acknowledge it
You are bound to brush across again and again
Hurting them more in the process
This is what i told my cigarette
Before it burnt my hand.
Comments
Post a Comment